Earlier there used to be fewer options for GS Manual and it was easy to opt the right one. But now there are hundreds of Manual available in the market for IAS Prelims and you might get confused while choosing the best one.
In case you don’t know what is GS Manual then let us tell you that it’s a thick book (manual) covering all important subjects in concise language.
So in this article, we will suggest you the top 4 GS manual which you can use for UPSC prelims preparation.
This is the most popular GS Manual and also get updated yearly. It is helpful for civil services as well as state PCS examinations.
- Covering basic information about all subjects important for civil services.
- With lucid language, the book has covered the syllabus in a systematic approach.
- It also contains past questions analysis and statistics, strategy, notes, mock tests for prelims.
- It also provides a revisionary book and an Encyclopedia CD along with the main book.
This manual is divided into 6 separate books, which makes it handy to read. The contents are presented in a well-structured and lucid manner along with topic-wise solved previous years’ question papers.
- Topic-wise solved previous years’ question papers
- Over 7000+ multiple choice questions
- Content supported with illustrations, tables, info-boxes and maps
- Free colored maps of India and the world
Each volume contains
- Vol I: General Knowledge and Current Affairs
- Vol II: Indian Polity and Governance
- Vol III: Indian Economy: Economic and Social Development
- Vol IV: Geography and Environmental Ecology
- Vol V: General Science
- Vol VI: History and Culture
Mc Graw Hill is the most trusted brand in terms of GS manual for UPSC preparation, it is Revised and updated every year with the latest developments and events in every field. The GS Manual has served as a complete self-study guide for thousands of civil services aspirants for the past 34 years.
- Each subject has been developed by a specialist trained in teaching that subject
- The multiple-choice questions have been accordingly framed as per the UPSC syllabus
- The section on Current Events of national and international importance have been updated until July 2017
- The manual is systematically structured by treating each subject
- Relevant information is organized in such a way reader don’t face difficulty.
This book is compiled by reputed authors such as
Although these books are sufficient for GS Paper 1, you still need to read it carefully as there are factual errors. It is advisable to go through NCERT books before touching this book.