To make this compilation we have used the following sources –
- The Hindu
- Indian Express
- Economic Times
- Other References
So be assured about quality and authenticity and just focus on preparation.
In this article, we have shared Events of National importance current affairs notes which are helpful for UPSC Mains and UPSC Prelims. These notes are also available in the form of Book and ebook.
These current events are also useful and helpful for SSC, Banking and state level PCS examination, but we have specially crafted and edited the notes for UPSC Mains and UPSC prelims.
Here we have listed the 10 most important events of national Importance for the month of September 2016. You may also download the full magazine here.
DCN dedicated to the Nation
LCA Tejas inducted
India abstains at UN vote on LGBT
Smart model village project inaugurated
First port in India to implement logistics data
National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme approved
10 iconic places under Swachh Bharat Mission
India’s first PPP model incubator
Deal to develop aero engines
1. ‘Prashikshak’ launched
Hon’ble Union Minister for Human Resource Development dedicated ‘Prashikshak’ – a teacher education portal, to the nation at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi. ‘Prashikshak’ is launched with a vision to strengthen District Institutes of Education and Training (DIETs) and bring quality teachers into the Indian school education system.
- The Prashiskshak has started only for DIETs, it will cover Block level institutes in the future and identify gaps at the bottom of the pyramid.
- The Ministry of Human Resource Development also has plans for enhancing Prashikshak to cover all Govt.
- Teacher Education Institutions in the country, which are recognized by the NCTE.
2. DCN dedicated to the Nation
India’s first integrated defence communication network was on 30 June 2016 launched enabling the army, air force, navy and the Special Forces Command to share situational awareness for a faster decision-making process.
- The Defence Communication Network (DCN), a strategic, highly secure and scalable system, has a Pan-India reach — from Ladakh to the North East to island territories.
- This network is a step towards joint manship that the government is pushing for in the armed forces.
- All the three forces have their own command, communication and intelligence networks, this is the first time when there will be a dedicated network for greater synergy.
3. LCA Tejas inducted
The Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) “Tejas” inducted into No. 45 Squadron of Indian Air Force (IAF) on 01 Jul 2016. No. 45 Squadron, also called the “Flying Daggers “, was last equipped with MiG 21 Bis Aircraft and operated from Nalia. It’s motto is “Ajeet Nabha“. The Squadron will operate from Bangalore for nearly two years before it moves to its designated location at Sulur near Coimbatore. It is the first fighter Squadron to be a part of the Southern Air Command of IAF headquartered at Thiruvananthapuram.
- Tejas is the first advance Fly-by-wire (FBW) fighter aircraft designed, developed and manufactured in India.
- Conceived as a MiG-21 replacement, the aircraft has been designed and developed by Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) and produced by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
4. India abstains at UN vote on LGBT
India chose to abstain at the UN Human Rights Council, which adopted its third UN resolution, to institutionalise the office of an Independent Expert to prevent discrimination against Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) persons. The move to create this special office in support for the LGBT community follows the June 12 mass killing at an Orlando night club in Florida.
- The resolution, which was backed by the Latin American member states, was opposed by Russia and the Islamic countries, while India, Philippines and South Africa abstained.
- The official for the newly created post will shortly be appointed for a three-year period and will serve to fight challenges faced by LGBT persons.
5. Smart model village project inaugurated
The President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated a smart model village pilot projecton July 2, 2016 at Rashtrapati Bhavan. Speaking on the occasion, the President said that in the last nearly four years of his Presidency this was the first time that he was having the privilege of interacting with Sarpanchs and village level functionaries in Rashtrapati Bhavan.
Since assuming office, he had been emphasizing on the opening of the Rashtrapati Bhavan to the people. However, today he felt that Rashtrapati Bhavan had been truly opened to the public since the village representatives were present there. He said that it is only the representatives of the villages who can transform this country which has more than six lakh villages. Our progress and development can be achieved at the desirable speed only in partnership with these decision makers in the villages. We also need to empower our women and youth. He expressed confidence that this initiative would not remain confined to these five villages but would spread to the entire country.
- This is a landmark initiative that seek to replicate the experience in transforming the President’s Estate into a smart model township, in five selected villages in Haryana.
- The five villages which will be developed into the smart villages under this pilot project are Dhaula, Alipur, Harichandpur and Taj Nagar from Gurgaon district and Rojka Meo from Mewat district of Haryana.
- This pilot project on the occasion of inauguration of the Intelligent Operations Centre (IOC) in Rashtrapati Bhavan and launching of a Mobile App ‘Monitor’ for transformation of President’s Estate into a smart township on May 19, 2016.
6. First port in India to implement logistics data
Jawaharlal Nehru Port has become the first port in India to implement logistics data tagging of containers. The logistics data bank tagging of containers, a first of its kind facility, will help importers and exporters track their goods in transit. An RFID (Radio Frequency Identification Tag) tag would be attached to each container which would be tracked through RIFD readers installed at different locations.
It will integrate the information available with various agencies across the supply chain to provide detailed real time information within a single window. The government claims that this is an important ‘ease of doing business’ initiative focused towards document, time and cost reduction for the benefit of trade. This would help in reducing the overall lead time of the container movement across the western corridor and lower the transaction costs incurred by shippers and consignees.
According to the Ministry of Shipping, “this would provide visibility and transparency of EXIM container movement by covering the entire movement through rail or road till the Inland Container Depot and Container Freight Station.” This would help in reducing the overall lead time of the container movement across the western corridor and lower the transaction costs incurred by shippers and consignees.
7. National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme approved
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved a National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme. The Scheme has an outlay of Rs. 10,000 crores with a target of 50 lakh apprentices to be trained by 2019-20.
- The Scheme would be implemented by Director General of Training (DGT) under Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE).
- It provides for incentivizing employers to engage apprentices. 25% of the total stipend payable to an apprentice would be shared with employers directly by Government of India.
- It is for the first time a scheme has been designed to offer financial incentives to employers to engage apprentices. In addition, it also supports basic training, which is an essential component of apprenticeship training.
8. 10 iconic places under Swachh Bharat Mission
The government will carry out a drive to clean ten iconic places in the country, including Taj Mahal, Vaishno Devi temple and Ajmer Sharif, as part of a pilot project under the Swachh Bharat mission, Union Minister Narendra Singh Tomar said. Tomar said his ministry is in the process of selecting 100 iconic places for cleaning under the mission and most will be either tourist or religious spots.
- As part of Swachh Bharat Mission to clean and sanitise the entire country, the Ministry has identified 10 such iconic places to start cleanliness drive as part of the pilot project under this mission.
- The places which have been selected are Vaishno Devi temple in Jammu and Kashmir, Taj Mahal in Uttar Pradesh, Tirupati temple in Andhra Pradesh, Golden Temple in Punjab, Ajmer Sharif in Rajasthan, Jagannath temple in Orissa, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus in Maharashtra, Manikarnika Ghat in Uttar Pradesh,Meenakshi Temple in Tamil Nadu and Kamakhya Temple in Assam.
- Once this pilot project is completed, the govt will carry out a similar cleanliness drive at the remaining 90 places.
9. India’s first PPP model incubator
Start-up Village (SV), India’s first PPP model incubator, is all set for a national scale-up with the Department of Science and Technology approving Start-up Village’s phase 2 in its completely digital version. The world’s first digital incubator for student start-ups ‘SV.CO’ will be launched on July 13 at Thiruvananthapuram. The Phase 2 will focus on creating an entrepreneurial culture amongst the country’s five million engineering students by providing them a completely digital incubation framework, ranging from application for admission to teaching, mentoring and graduation, officials of SV said.
- Kris Gopalakrishnan, Infosys co-founder and chief mentor of Start-up Village noted that students, especially from tier 2 and tier 3 cities, are deprived of access to the best faculty and mentors from start-up nerve centres like Bengaluru or Silicon Valley.
- The digital transformation of the incubator would address the problem to a large extent. The Digital Incubator, which was built over the last 12 months, has already received more than 1,000 applications from students from across Kerala and towns like Vadodara in Gujaratand Vishakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh in its beta stage.
10. Deal to develop aero engines
The Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) signed a memorandum of agreement (MoA) with Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) Bombay and Madras to establish a bi-nodal Centre of Propulsion Technology (CoPT) at the two institutions that would work in areas of futuristic aero engines and hypersonic propulsion.
- The CoPT will evolve mechanisms to facilitate execution of programs related to propulsion technology and will engage the primary Research Nodes (IIT Bombay and IIT Madras) and other research institutions/ centres to undertake advanced collaborative research also in the areas of critical defence technologies.
- It will facilitate and undertake multidisciplinary directed research in the focused areas of futuristic aero engines, hypersonic propulsion for long duration flights, solid propellant combustion modeling and morphing aircraft technologies.