In this post, we have compiled the current affairs questions asked in UPSC prelims 2016
Current Affairs questions UPSC Prelims 2016
1.The establishment of ‘Payment Banks’ is being allowed in India to promote financial inclusion . Which of the following statements is/are correct in this context ?
1. Mobile telephone companies and supermarket chains that are owned and controlled by residents are eligible to be promoters of Payment Banks.
2. Payment Banks can issue both credit cards and debit cards.
3. Payment Banks cannot undertake lending activities.
2.With reference to ‘LiFi’, recently in the news, which of the following statements is/are correct ? 1. It uses light as the medium for
1. It uses light as the medium for high-speed data transmission.
2. It is a wireless technology and is several times faster than ‘WiFi’.
3.The term ‘Intended Nationally Determined Contribution’ is sometimes seen in the news in the context of
4.Which one of the following is a purpose of ‘UDAY’, a scheme of the Government ?
5.With reference to ‘IFC Masala Bonds’, sometimes seen in the news, which of the statements given below is/are correct ?
1. The International Finance Corporation , which offers these bonds, is an arm of the World Bank.
2. They are the rupee-denominated bonds and are a source of debt financing for the public and private sector.
6.Recently, which one of the following currencies has been proposed to be added to the basket of IMF’s SDR ?
7.‘Rashtriya Garima Abhiyaan’ is a national campaign to
8.Consider the following pairs : Community sometimes in the affairs of mentioned in the news
Kurd : Bangladesh
B. Madhesi : Nepal
C. Rohingya : Myanmar
9.With reference to ‘ Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana’, consider the following statements :
1. Under this Scheme , farmers will have to pay a uniform premium of two percent for any crop they cultivate in any season of the year.
2. This Scheme covers post – harvest losses arising out of cyclones and unseasonal rains.
10.With reference to ‘Stand Up India Scheme’, which of the following statements is/are correct ?
1. Its purpose is to promote entrepreneurship among SC/ST and women entrepreneurs.
2. It provides for refinance through SIDBI
11.The term ‘Core Banking Solution’ is sometimes seen in the news. Which of the following statements best describes/describe this term ?
1. It is a networking of a bank’s branches which enables customers to operate their accounts from any branch of the bank on its network regardless of where they open their accounts.
2. It is an effort to increase RBI’s control over commercial banks through computerization.
3. It is a detailed procedure by which a bank with huge non-performing assets is taken over by another bank .
12.In the context of the development in Bioinformatics, the term ‘transcriptome’, sometimes seen in the news, refer to
13.‘Mission Indradhanush’ launched by the Government of India pertains to
14.‘Project Loon’ sometimes seen in the news, is related to 3
15.‘Net metering’ is sometimes seen in the news in the context of promoting the
16.With reference to the ‘Trans-Pacific Partnership’, Consider the following statements :
1. It is an agreement among all the Pacific Rim countries except China and Russia.
2. It is a strategic alliance for the purpose of maritime security only.
17.Consider the following statements : The India-Africa Summit
1. Held in 2015 was the third such Summit
2. was actually initiated by Jawaharlal Nehru in 1951
18.Recently, our scientists have discovered a new and distinct species of banana plant which attains a height of about 11 meters and has orange colored fruit pulp. In which part of India has it been discovered ?
19.Which one of the following is the best description of ‘INS Astradharini’, that was in the news recently ?
20.What is ‘Greased Lightning -10 (GL-10) ‘, recently in the news ?
21. With reference to ‘Initiative for Nutritional Security through Intensive Millets Promotion’, Which of the following Statements is/are correct ?
1. This initiative aims to demonstrate the improved production and postharvest technologies and to demonstrate value addition techniques, in an integrated manner, with cluster approach . 2. Poor, small, marginal and tribal farmers have
2. Poor, small, marginal and tribal farmers have the larger stake in this scheme. 3. An important objective of the scheme is to millet cultivation by offering them free kits of critical inputs of nutrients and
3. An important objective of the scheme is to millet cultivation by offering them free kits of critical inputs of nutrients and micro-irrigation equipment .
22. ‘Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres)’, often in the news, is
23.The term ‘Base Erosion and Profit Shifting’ is sometimes seen in the news in the context of
a) mining operation by multinational companies resource-rich but backward areas
b) curbing of the tax evasion by multinational companies
c) exploitation of genetic resources of a country by multinational companies d) lack of consideration of environmental costs in the
d) lack of consideration of environmental costs in the planning and implementation of development projects
24.Recently, India’s first ‘National Investment and Manufacturing Zone’ was proposed to be set up in
a) Andhra Pradesh
d) Uttar Pradesh
25.What is/are the purpose/purposes of ‘District Mineral Foundations’ in India?
1. Promoting mineral exploration activities in mineral- rich districts
2. Protecting the interests of the persons affected by mining operations
3. Authorizing State Governments to issue licenses for mineral exploration
26.‘SWAYAM’, an initiative of the Government of India, aims at
a) promoting the Self Help Groups in rural areas
b) providing financial and technical assistance to young startup entrepreneurs
c) promoting the education and health of adolescent girls
d) providing affordable and quality education to the citizens for free
27.With reference to ‘Bitcoins’, sometimes seen in the news, which of the following statements is/are correct?
1.Bitcoins are tracked by the Central Banks of the countries.
2. Anyone with a Bitcoin address can send and receive Bitcoins from anyone else with a Bitcoin address.
3. Online payments can be sent without either side knowing the identity of the other.
28. Consider the following statements:
1. New Development Bank has been set up by APEC.
2. The headquarters of New Development Bank is in Shanghai.
29.What is/are the purpose/purposes of the Government’s ‘Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme’ and ‘Gold Monetization Scheme’?
1. To bring the idle gold lying with Indian households into the economy
2. To promote FDI in the gold and jewelry sector
3. To reduce India’s dependence on gold imports
30.‘Belt and Road Initiative’ is sometimes mentioned in the news in the context of affairs of
a) African Union
c) European Union
31. Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana is aimed at
a) bringing the small entrepreneurs into formal financial system b) providing loans to poor farmers for cultivating particular crops c) providing pensions to old and destitute persons d) funding the voluntary organizations involved in the promotion of skill development and employment generation.
b) providing loans to poor farmers for cultivating particular crops c) providing pensions to old and destitute persons d) funding the voluntary organizations involved in the promotion of skill development and employment generation.
c) providing pensions to old and destitute persons d) funding the voluntary organizations involved in the promotion of skill development and employment generation.
d) funding the voluntary organizations involved in the promotion of skill development and employment generation.
32. Regarding ‘Atal Pension Yojana’, which of the following statements is/are correct?
1. It is a minimum guaranteed pension scheme mainly targeted at unorganized sector workers.
2. Only one member of a family can join the scheme.
3. Same amount of pension is guaranteed for the spouse for life after subscriber’s death.
33.The term ‘ Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership’ often appears in the news in the context of the affairs of a group of countries known as
34.Consider the following statements:
1. The International Solar Alliance was launched at the United Nations Climate Change Conference in 2015.
2. The Alliance includes all the member countries of the United Nations.
35.‘European Stability Mechanism’, sometimes seen in the news, is an
a) agency created by EU to deal with the impact of millions of refugees arriving from the Middle East
b) agency of EU that provides financial assistance to eurozone countries
c) agency of EU to deal with all the bilateral and multilateral agreements on trade d
d) agency to EU to deal with the conflicts arising among the member countries
36.Regarding ‘DigiLocker’, sometimes seen in the news, which of the following statements is/are correct?
1. It is a digital locker system offered by the government under Digital Indian Programme
2. It allows you to access your e-documents irrespective of your physical location.
37. Recently, linking of which of the following rivers was undertaken?
a) Cauvery and Tungabhadra
b) Godavari and Krishna
c) Mahanadi and Sone
d) Narmada and Tapti
38. In the cities of our country, which among the following atmospheric gases are normally considered in calculating the value of Air Quality Index? 1. Carbon Dioxide 2. Carbon monoxide 3. Nitrogen dioxide 4. Sulfur dioxide 5. Methane
1. Carbon Dioxide 2. Carbon monoxide 3. Nitrogen dioxide 4. Sulfur dioxide 5. Methane
2. Carbon monoxide 3. Nitrogen dioxide 4. Sulfur dioxide 5. Methane
3. Nitrogen dioxide 4. Sulfur dioxide 5. Methane
4. Sulfur dioxide 5. Methane
39. Recently, for the first time in our country, which of the following States has declared a particular butterfly as ‘State Butterfly’?
40. Consider the following statements: The Mangalyaan launched by ISRO
1. Is also called the Mars Orbiter Mission
2. Made India the second country to have a spacecraft orbit the Mars after USA
3. Made India the only country to be successful in making its spacecraft orbit the Mars in its very first attempt
41. Recently, which of the following states has explored the possibility of constructing an artificial inland port to be connected to the sea by a long navigational channel?
42.With reference to the Agreement at the UNFCCC Meeting in Paris in 2015, which of the following statements is/are correct?
1. The Agreement was signed by all the member countries of the UN and it will go into effect in 2017.
2. The Agreement aims to limit the greenhouse gas emissions so that the rise in average global temperature by the end of this century does not exceed 2 °C or even 1.5 °C above pre- industrial levels.
3. Developed countries acknowledged their historical responsibility in global warming and committed to donate $ 1000 billion a year from 2020 to help developing countries to cope with climate change
43. Consider the following statements:
1. The Sustainable Development Goals were first proposed in 1972 by a global think tank called the ‘Club of Rome’.
2. The Sustainable Development Goals have to be achieved by 2030.
44. A recent movie titled The Man Who Knew Infinity is based on the biography of