Here is the list of National Events of February, 2016 compiled from PIB, The Hindu, Indian Express and other standard references and customized for civil services examination.
Stark digital divide among states
- Tele-density data points to a stark digital divide among states, with Delhi having the highest score of 238 per cent while Bihar and Assam lagging behind at around 55 per cent, says a report.
- Tele-density, the number of telephone connections for every 100 individuals, points to a stark ‘digital divide’ with large population in Bihar, Assam, Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh still being deprived to communicate with the rest of the country, industry body Assocham said in a paper.
National Pension System has 1.15 crore subscribers now
- The National Pension System now has 1.15 crore subscribers, each with an average ₹ 95,000 of assets under management.
- “The total assets under management are worth ₹1,09,140 crore while assets under management per subscriber is ₹95,000 on an average, the total corpus of the National Pension System (NPS) is ₹90, 327 crore.
Global Biotechnology Summit on “Destination India”
- A two day Global Biotechnology Summit on “Destination India” will be held on 5th & 6th February 2016 at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- The event would showcase India’s Biotechnology strength and capacity. It would provide an opportunity to bring together all stakeholders to discuss opportunities, collaborations and to prepare a joint action plan for achieving the target of 100 billion US dollars for the Biotech sector by 2020.
Bharat Biotech seeks govt. approval of two Zika vaccine candidates
- Vaccines manufacturer, Bharat Biotech, announced a breakthrough in developing the world’s first Zika vaccine. The Hyderabad-based company has submitted two vaccine candidates —— one inactivated and one recombinant —— to the Indian government.
International Fleet Review begins in Vizag
- The International Fleet Review (IFR) of the Indian Navy began amid festive fervor in the port city.
- The Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu laid a wreath at the Victory-at-Sea memorial on the beach road to pay homage to the martyrs who sacrificed their lives for the country.
Government aims for 50% digital literacy in 3 years
- Stage has been set for rapidly increasing digital literacy in the country. In three years time the Government aims to take digital literacy to at least 50 per cent from the current level of 15 per cent.
- Minister for Telecom and Information Technology, Mr Ravi Prasad said this while presiding over the function to award winners of “Digital India Week’s Online Quiz Competition on Cyber Safety and Cyber Awareness”.
Govt. to present General Budget on February 29
- The Budget session of Parliament will commence from February 23 and the government will present the General Budget on February 29.
- “The Budget session of Parliament will commence on February 23. The Rail Budget will be presented on February 25, the pre-Budget economic survey on February 26 and the General Budget on February 29,” Parliamentary Affairs Minister Venkaiah Naidu told reporters.
12th South Asian Games
- The energy and vibrancy of the youth of the region was showcased in brilliant fashion and in a true north-eastern way — dotted with glitz, glamour and technology in even measure — as the 12th South Asian Games was declared open at the Indira Gandhi Stadium, Sarusajai, here on Friday evening.
- Conceived with a lot of thought and imagination and performed with precision, the 170-minute long programme was, as usual in a multi-discipline event of this magnitude, segregated into two parts, with the sports protocol taking precedence over the cultural extravaganza.
International Fleet Review 2016 formally concludes
- International Fleet Review 2016 formally culminated through a Joint International Band Concert at the Naval Officers’ Institute.
- Naval Bands from participating Navies along with host Indian Navy jointly presented a bouquet of music in front of Admiral RK Dhowan, Chief of the Naval Staff, the Chief Guest for the event.
Tourism infoline launched in 12 languages
- In a bid to boost the tourism sector in India, the Union Tourism Ministry launched the tourism helpline number in 12 languages, which includes French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Japanese.
- Union Minister of State for Culture and Tourism Mahesh Sharma introduced the 24X7 toll-free helpline number —1800-11-1363 or short code 1363 — for tourists travelling or planning to travel to India.
DESTINATION NORTH EAST – 2016
- The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh held a Press Conference on ‘Destination North East, 2016.
- He said that the aim of Destination North East is to bring the rest of India closer to North East India.
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Scheme expanded in additional 61 districts
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development has expanded Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao scheme in additional 61 district (covering 11 states).
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) Scheme was launched on 22nd January, 2015 at Panipat in Haryana.
4-day National Arogya Fair-2016 begins at Dehradun in Uttarakhand
- The 4-day National Arogya Fair began at Dehradun in Uttarakhand. The Fair has been organized by the Ministry of Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa Rigpa & Homoeopathy (AYUSH) in collaboration with the State government of Uttarakhand and the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII).
- The Fair was inaugurated by the Minister of State for AYUSH (Independent Charge) and Health & Family Welfare, Shri Shripad Yesso Naik and Chief Minister of Uttarakhand , Shri Harish Rawat.
establishment of National Organic Farming Research Institute (NOFRI)
- Union Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare Minister, Shri Radha Mohan Singh announced the establishment of National Organic Farming Research Institute (NOFRI) at Gangtok, Sikkim.
- Shri Singh during 87th Annual General Meeting of Indian Council of Agricultural Research announced establishment of National Organic Farming Research Institute (NOFRI) at Gangtok, Sikkim.
Government to support Ethanol blending of Petrol in a big way
- The Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Petroleum and Natural Gas, Shri Dharmendra Pradhan has expressed the Government’s commitment for time bound execution of initiatives to introduce Ethanol blended Petrol and Bio diesel in the country.
Union minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurates Translational Research Unit of Excellence in Kolkata
- Union minister for science & technology & earth sciences Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurated a Translational Research Unit of Excellence (TRUE) at the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research – Indian Institute of Chemical Biology (CSIR-IICB) Kolkata.
Ganga Sanskriti Yatra
- “Ganga Sanskriti Yatra” showcasing & discovering culture heritage of Ganga will begin at Gangotri on 14 February, 2016.
- The objective of ‘Ganga Sanskriti Yatra’ is to showcase and discover the cultural diversity and heritage of Ganga river basin and also to spread necessary awareness to the masses about its safeguarding and rejuvenating.
- Ganga is the lifeline and national heritage of India and is also the multiple streams of Indian Culture.
100% digitisation of ration cards
- The Government has achieved significant mile stones in the reforms of PDS. Almost 100 % (99.9%) ration cards have been digitised across the country.
- Over 42 % ration cards have been even linked with Aadhaar cards and Point of Sale Devices, to keep electronic record of allocation to the beneficiaries, have been installed in over 77,000 ration shops.
Mysuru remains the cleanest CITY; Dhanbad at the bottom of 73 major cities
- Mysuru in Karnataka remained the cleanest city in the country while Dhanbad in Jharkhand came at the bottom of 73 major cities surveyed for sanitation scenario last month.
- Results of ‘Swachh Survekshan-2016’ were released by the Minister of Urban Development Shri M.Venkaiah.
Jharkhand gets its First Mega Food Park
- In order to give an impetus to the growth of the Food Processing Sector in Jharkhand, the first Mega Food Park in the State promoted by M/s. Jharkhand Mega Food Park Pvt. Ltd. was inaugurated by Smt. Harsimrat Kaur Badal, Union Minister of Food Processing Industries at Village Getalsud, District Ranchi.
- Speaking on the occasion, Smt. Badal informed that this Mega Food Park has been set up with the project cost of Rs. 114.73 crore in an area of 51.50 Acres.
Supreme Court upholds Delhi High Court’s decision that information on pending cases cannot be provided under RTI ACT.
- The Supreme Court has upheld the Delhi High Court decision that the information about cases in which judgments were pending after being reserved cannot be disclosed under the RTI Act.
- A bench of Justices P C Ghose and Amitava Roy, dismissed an RTI against Delhi High Court’s division bench verdict on the 7th of January.
Ninth meeting of the advisory council of the National Mission for Justice Delivery and Legal Reforms
- The Ninth meeting of the advisory council of the national mission for justice delivery and legal reforms was held in New Delhi.
- Speaking on the occasion Union Law & Justice Minister Shri D.V. Sadananda Gowda, who chaired the meeting said access to justice is an is an integral part of our Constitution.
Christians most educated, but highest unemployment rate: Survey
- The unemployment rate in urban areas reduced from 4.5 per cent in 2004-05 to 3.4 per cent in 2011-12, new data from the National Sample Survey Office show. In rural areas, the rate has been stable at around 1.7 per cent during this period.
Maharashtra launches zero fatality initiative on Expressway
- In a major initiative, Maharashtra became the first State government to launch an initiative for road safety to transform the 95-km Mumbai-Pune Expressway into a ‘zero fatality corridor’ over the next five years.
- The Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) on Tuesday signed a memorandum of understanding with Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd and road safety NGO Save LIFE Foundation to reduce an average of 130 deaths per year in roads accidents on the Expressway.
India’s first nuclear submarine INS Arihant ready for operations, passes deep sea tests
- India’s first nuclear armed submarine is now ready for full fledged operations, having passed several deep sea diving drills as well as weapons launch tests over the past five months and a formal induction into the naval fleet is only a political call away.